Butter coffee – also known as Bulletproof Coffee – is supposed to be a miracle weapon against annoying pounds – but does the trendy drink really work? One can already say it is a delicious drink that you can drink while enjoying online roulette.
What Is It?
Butter coffee or Bulletproof Coffee is a trendy drink that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It consists of a cup of coffee to which a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil (usually coconut oil) are added. Bulletproof Coffee is said to provide energy, boost metabolism and increase fat burning. This makes it a popular drink for those who want to lose weight because losing weight with coffee can work.
But there are more ways to prevent gaining weight. Butter coffee is especially popular among people following a Paleo, low carb or keto diet. Many also drink it in the morning during interval fasting to go longer without food. Fans justify its consumption by saying that the drink does not cause blood sugar levels to rise. But strictly speaking, Bulletproof Coffee breaks the fast because it contains a lot of calories. One cup has 230 calories and 25 grams of fat – 21 grams of which are saturated fat.
Whether the drink really helps you lose weight is therefore questionable. Wonder who came up with the idea of mixing butter and oil in coffee? The American entrepreneur Dave Asprey tried yak tea, i.e. tea with butter made from the milk of yaks, on his trip through the Himalayas. The drink is said to have immediately given him a lot of energy and improved his ability to concentrate. He was so enthusiastic about the effect that he experimented at home and invented Bulletproof Coffee.
What Is The Effect?
Butter coffee contains high-quality fats that are supposed to help the body burn fat and boost metabolism. Bulletproof Coffee is also said to increase mental focus and energy. The manufacturer promises a steady energy level without an “energy crash” like the ones we experience after eating sugar or simple carbohydrates, for example.
The Bulletproof website says that the combination of coffee and high-quality fats helps you feel full, alert, and focused. However, there are no scientific studies to support these claims.
How To Prepare It
To make Bulletproof Coffee, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of coffee
- 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of coconut or MCT oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of unsalted pastured butter or 1-2 teaspoons of ghee
- Brew a cup of coffee.
- Put the coffee, coconut or MCT oil, and butter or ghee together in a blender.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte.
Make sure to use high-quality products. Pastured butter, for example, is higher in omega-3 fatty acids than commercial butter, making it healthier. When using MCT oil for the first time, start with one teaspoon and increase the amount up to two tablespoons over several days.
You can also adjust the amount of butter or ghee to your taste. If you don’t have a blender, put all the ingredients in a large mug and use a milk frother until the drink becomes creamy. There are also variations of butter coffee where cinnamon or vanilla are added to enhance the flavor.
Is Butter Coffee Healthy?
Butter coffee is a controversial drink when it comes to health benefits. The Bulletproof website states that pasture-raised butter contains the following nutrients:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: among other things, they have anti-inflammatory effects and lower blood pressure.
- Vitamin A (as beta-carotene): The antioxidant is important for skin and mucous membranes, as well as for healthy vision.
- Butyric Acid (butyrate): It ensures a healthy intestinal mucosa.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): It is the only trans fatty acid that is not classified as a health concern but rather has positive effects. For example, it accelerates fat burning.
Even though omega-3 and vitamin A are present in butter, it is not necessarily recommended to get these nutrients from butter, as their content is rather low. You can get omega-3 in high amounts in salmon, flaxseed, and walnuts. If you want to find out what good sources of vitamin A there are, read our article “Vitamin A in foods”.
What are the benefits of MCT oil in coffee?
“MCT” stands for “medium-chain triglycerides”. The oil helps boost the production of ketones, so your body and brain use fat instead of glucose for energy. This gives you sustained energy and stimulates fat burning. Coconut oil is also high in medium-chain fatty acids, but MCT oil is made up exclusively of them. However, many experts criticize the trendy drink for its lack of nutritional content and warn that regular consumption of Bulletproof Coffee leads to excessive consumption of saturated fatty acids.
Meanwhile, it has been scientifically proven that a diet high in saturated fat increases cholesterol levels and the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, the drink is a real calorie bomb. Those who drink the butter coffee without otherwise changing their diet will most likely not lose weight. In Germany or other Western countries, where people are predominantly sedentary and many are obese, butter and oil in coffee should therefore be consumed with caution. The situation is different in Tibet, where Dave Asprey got his inspiration for Bulletproof Coffee. Yak tea has a long tradition there, as many people there need the extra calories to get around in the mountainous highlands or to do strenuous physical work.
What Are The Experiences With Butter Coffee?
Nonetheless, there are many biohackers who swear by Bulletproof Coffee, especially when combined with the Interval Fasting style of fasting and a ketogenic diet that consumes mostly fats and proteins. Biohacking means that people try to understand their own bodies in detail and optimize them through diet and various tricks. Butter coffee has gained popularity in recent years and there are many testimonials about this drink.
- Increased Energy: many people report feeling more energy and being able to concentrate better after drinking Bulletproof Coffee.
- No Cravings: one of the most well-known properties of Bulletproof Coffee is that it can help reduce cravings for sweets and generally curb appetite. Because coffee contains fats, many people feel fuller longer after drinking it.
- Improved Cognitive Function: many claim to feel mentally clearer after consuming Bulletproof Coffee.
- Weight Loss: Bulletproof fans state that the drink has helped them lose weight. This is due to the fact that butter coffee can reduce food cravings and boost metabolism.
- Digestive Problems: some people report that they experience gastrointestinal problems after drinking Bulletproof Coffee. This may be due to the fat content of the drink, which is difficult for some people to digest.
Keep in mind that everyone’s body reacts differently. If you’re curious, you can try the trendy drink. It’s best to start with a small amount of butter and oil and see how your body reacts.
However, if you’re trying to lose weight or control your calorie intake, you should only enjoy Bulletproof Coffee in moderation.